Here are the different branches of biology (or divisions of biology) and their definitions & their related resources.
- Anatomy is the branch of biology that deals with the study of the structure of organisms and their parts.
- Biochemistry is the branch of biology concerned with the chemical and physicochemical processes that occur within living organisms.
- Biophysics is the science of the application of the laws of physics to biological phenomena.
- Biotechnology is the exploitation of biological processes such as genetic manipulation of micro-organisms for the production of antibiotics, hormones, etc.
- Botany is the scientific study of plants, including their physiology, structure, genetics, and ecology.
- Cell biology is the study of cell structure and function, and it revolves around the concept that the cell is the fundamental unit of life.
- Ecology is the branch of biology that deals with the relations of organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings.
- Genetics is the study of genes, genetic variation, and heredity in living organisms.
- Immunology is the branch of medicine and biology concerned with immunity.
- Marine biology is the scientific study of organisms in the ocean or other marine bodies of water.
- Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms, those being unicellular, multicellular, or acellular.
- Molecular biology is the branch of biology that deals with the structure and function of the proteins and nucleic acids.
- Mycology is the scientific study of fungi.
- Parasitology is the branch of biology or medicine concerned with the study of parasitic organisms.
- Photobiology is the scientific study of the interactions of light and living organisms.
- Phycology is the scientific study of algae.
- Physiology is the branch of biology that deals with the normal functions of living organisms and their parts.
- Plant physiology is a sub-discipline of botany concerned with the functioning, or physiology, of plants.
- Radiobiology is a branch of biology that involves the study of the action of ionizing radiation on living things.
- Structural biology is a branch of molecular biology, biochemistry, and biophysics dealing with the molecular structure of biological macro-molecules.
- Theoretical biology (aka Mathematical biology) is an interdisciplinary scientific research field with a range of applications in biology, biotechnology, and medicine.
- Virology is the branch of science that deals with the study of viruses.
- Zoology is the scientific study of the behavior, structure, physiology, classification, and distribution of animals.
Join Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list and get biology related news and updates to your email inbox.