- Common Name: Wied’s Black-tufted-ear Marmoset
- Taxonomy Classification Year: 1985
- Monkey Size: 20.2 to 21.6 cm (8 to 8.5 in)
- Skin Color(s): Black
- Habitat: Forest, rainforest
- Diet: Omnivorous
- Native Countries: Brazil
Wied’s Black-tufted-ear Marmoset Distribution
Wied’s Marmoset Characteristics
The Wied’s marmoset (Callithrix kuhlii), also called the Wied’s black-tufted-ear marmoset, is a New World Monkey that lives in the tropical and subtropical forests of eastern Brazil.
- It is primarily black with gray fur on its head. In addition, they have distinctive markings of white fur around their cheeks and forehead and tufts of black hair around their ears.
- They have grey, black and white stripes all over their tail. Their tails are non-prehensile.
- Their hands are perfectly designed for grasping and gripping, with extended thin knuckles and long claw-like fingernails.
What Do Wied’s Black-tufted-ear Marmosets Eat?
In the wild, the Wied’s Black-tufted-ear Marmoset eats many organic matters including but not limited to Abas (Psidium guajava) and Camasey Cuatrocanales (miconia ia mirabilis)[¶].
Wied’s Marmoset Facts
- Unlike other common marmosets, Wied’s marmosets live in groups consisting of 4 or 5 females and 2 or 3 males (plus juveniles).
- They move on all fours in the forest and often jump from tree to tree. Its agility is similar to that of a squirrel, which includes jumping, hopping, and running.
- They are matriarchal, and only the dominant female can mate.
- Groups often use scent marking to mark their territory and ward off other primate species. They mark their territory by rubbing secretions from their suprapubic region on vines, branches, leaves, and other areas.
- Wied’s tamarins are sometimes kept as pets, but they are complicated to care for. For example, they need a particular diet and access to ultraviolet light to stay healthy.
Suggested Reading: Various Species of Monkeys
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 04). Wied’s Marmoset. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/wieds-marmoset/.
BioExplorer.net. "Wied’s Marmoset" Bio Explorer, 04 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/wieds-marmoset/.
BioExplorer.net. "Wied’s Marmoset" Bio Explorer, June 04 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/wieds-marmoset/.