Table of Contents
Origin of Ecology
In 1869, Earnst Haeckel coined the term “ecology”. It comes from the Greek word Oikos meaning “household” and logos meaning “study of”, therefore the “study of nature’s household”. Relating this definition to science, ecology becomes the study of the management of the natural environment which includes the relations of organisms with one another and to their surroundings.
It is said that ecology as a scientific discipline is a multidisciplinary one. It often encompasses several fields like biology, geography, and Earth science.
However, ecology is not always focused on the environment but also in man as well. Practical applications in ecology include conservation biology, restoration ecology, resource management, and wetland management.
History of Ecology As A Science
- Ashish Swarup Verma, Shishir Agrahari, Shruti Rastogi, and Anchal Singh. “Biotechnology in the Realm of History.” Journal of Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences, 2011: 321–323.
- Bagley, M. Genetics: The Study of Heredity. 2013. http://www.livescience.com/27332-genetics.html (accessed July 22, 2016).
- Berkeley. Genetic Variation. 2012. http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_17 (accessed July 22, 2016).
- Coley, N. “History of Biochemistry.” History of Biochemistry, 2016: 9.
- Farabee, M. Development of the Evolutionary Theory. 2001. https://www2.estrellamountain.edu/faculty/farabee/biobk/BioBookEVOLI.html (accessed July 22, 2016).
- kenyon.edu. History of Genetics. 2016. http://biology.kenyon.edu/courses/biol114/Chap01/history_genetics.html (accessed July 22, 2016).
- Kormondy, Edward J. “A Brief Introduction to the History of Ecology.” BioOne, 1996: 1-4.
- Norman, J. Coining the term “Genetics”. 2004). http://www.historyofinformation.com/expanded.php?id=4289 (accessed July 22, 2016).
- Odum, E. Fundamentals Of Ecology. India: Cengage Learning India Private Limited, 2005.
- Organization, Biotechnology Innovation. History of Biotechnology. 2016. https://www.bio.org/articles/history-biotechnology (accessed July 23, 2016).
- Permaculture. History of ecology. 2016. http://www.environment.gen.tr/history-of-ecology/594-history-of-ecology.html (accessed July 23, 2016).
- Pray, L. “Discovery of DNA Structure and Function: Watson and Crick.” Nature Education, 2009: 100-101.
- Smith, D. Uniformitarianism: Charles Lyell. 2016. http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/history_12 (accessed July 22, 2016).
- State, Montana. History of Ecology. 2016. http://www.layers-of-learning.com/history-of-ecology/ (accessed July 23, 2016).
- USA.gov. All About The Human Genome Project (HGP). 2015. https://www.genome.gov/10001772/all-about-the–human-genome-project-hgp/ (accessed July 22, 2016).
- Utah.edu. PCR. 2016. http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/labs/pcr/ (accessed July 22, 2016).
Join Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list and get biology related news and updates to your email inbox.