Table of Contents
The many sub-fields of cell biology focus on various topics which include how cell energy first emerged in primordial cells, how cells control and release genetic information from the nucleus to the cell cytoplasm (Central Dogma of Molecular Biology), how cells communicate, send signals to, and receive signals from each other, and how cell cycle occurs. Recently, a novel sub-field has emerged—systems biology. In this field, living systems are analyzed within the context of other systems (Bisceglia 2016). Here is the cell biology history in a chronological order.
History of Cell Biology
- Bisceglia, N. 2016. Cell Biology. Accessed July 22, 2016. www.nature.com/scitable/topic/cell-biology-13906536.
- Innes, Centre John. 2016. Microscopy. Accessed July 22, 2016. https://www.jic.ac.uk/microscopy/intro_EM.html.
- Mikell, Meredith. 2003. Understanding Cell Biology: History & Theories. Accessed July 22, 2016. http://study.com/academy/lesson/understanding-cell-biology-history-theories.html.
- Pray, L. 2009. “Discovery of DNA Structure and Function: Watson and Crick.” Nature Education 100-101.
- Rhoads, Dan. 2007. History of Cell Biology. Accessed July 22, 2016. http://bitesizebio.com/166/history-of-cell-biology/.
- Utah.edu. 2016. PCR. Accessed July 22, 2016. http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/labs/pcr/.
Join Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list and get biology related news and updates to your email inbox.