What Do Orioles Eat? Explore Oriole Diets, Hunting & Eating Habits

What Do Orioles Eat?
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

What Do Orioles Eat? Orioles are omnivorous birds categorized in two different families living in the Old-World and the New-World. Some of the key diets that orioles consume include but are not limited to insects, fruits, nectar, and berries.

This page will outline the diets of some of the Old-World and New-World orioles, including information on how they hunt, when they eat, how often they eat, how much they consume, what eats them, and all their diet-related details.

What Do Orioles Eat?

Type of Oriole Binomial Name Food Source
Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula Caterpillars, bugs, grasshoppers, beetles, wasps, snails, spiders, fruits and nectar.
Bullock’s oriole Icterus bullockii Butterflies, larvae, scale insects, beetles, weevils, mollusks, small lizards, hummingbirds, figs, blackberries, cherries and figs.
Jamaican oriole Icterus leucopteryx Insects and fruits
Golden oriole Oriolus oriolus Nectar, seeds, pollen, nestlings, small lizards, eggs, and small mammals.
Black-headed orioles Oriolus larvatus Honeybees, damselflies, dragonflies, caterpillars, termites, fruits, nectar, and seeds.
Black-naped oriole Oriolus chinensis Insects (moths, dragonflies, and more) and fruits such as bananas.

Different Types of Orioles

Types Of Orioles and Their Diets

Different oriole species exist, with some living in the Old-World and others endemic to the New-World. The species studied in this article include Baltimore Oriole, Bullock’s Oriole, Jamaican Oriole, Golden oriole, Black-headed Oriole, and Black-naped Oriole.

  • When ornithologists mention “orioles“, they usually refer to the Old-World orioles. These 31 avian creatures make up the Oriolus genus of the Oriolidae family & Passeriformes order.
  • Some of the most common oriole birds include the brown oriole, the green oriole, and the mountain oriole. According to IUCN, over 3/4th of Oriolus species are in the Least Concern sector, meaning that they are not in imminent danger of becoming endangered. It should also be noted that there are two other genera-Sphecotheres and Pitohui with 7 species within the Oriolidae family; however, these birds are not orioles.
  • As the term “Old World oriole” suggests, these birds can be found all over the continents of Africa, Asia, and Europe. However, it should also be noted that although Australia and the other countries of Oceania are typically considered the “New World“, some Old-World orioles can actually be found there. These orioles commonly reside in tall woodlands, such as temperate forests and rainforests.
  • In terms of physical characteristics, Old World orioles come in various colors (e.g., red, blue, yellow, black, etc.), primarily depending on the particular species in question.
  • These birds are typically about 20 to 30 centimeters in length and around 50 to 135 grams in weight, with females generally smaller than males. Both sexes have relatively long straight bills, making it easy to hold and consume their food. Orioles have also been documented to be peaceful and solitary, rarely ever being social regularly.Finally, it is also worth mentioning that in addition to the Old-World orioles, there is another type: New World orioles.
  • These birds are simply the 33 species that make up the Icterus genus of the Icteridae family. As their name suggests, the New World orioles are mainly found in North and South America, most residing in the US and Canada. · Some common New World oriole species include the orange oriole, the Baltimore oriole, and the hooded oriole.

Please also note that New World orioles are in no way related to their Old-World counterparts; they were just given the same name due to their physical similarities with each other (in terms of size, plumage color, and behavior).

What Do Baltimore Orioles Eat?

What Do Baltimore Orioles Eat?

Diet: Baltimore orioles are omnivores whose diet entails insects, nectar, berries, and fruits. During summer, when invertebrates are in plenty, their diet mainly consists of caterpillars, bugs, grasshoppers, beetles, wasps, snails, and spiders. During fall, these orioles switch their diet to fruits and nectar. In this regard, it is apparent that about 50% of their diet is composed of animals, while the other 50% constitutes plant matter.

Kingdom Order Family Genus Species
Animalia Passeriformes Icteridae Icterus Icterus galbula

Hunting Techniques: Hunting TechniquesBaltimore Orioles will mainly forage for food in the canopies and lower tree levels. These birds stalk and capture larvae and insects that they find in the canopies and other tree levels.

Where can it be spotted? Bird Watching Baltimore orioles are a common sight in Maryland and other places in the eastern USA. Though rare, the Baltimore orioles can also be spotted in the central USA and Canada.In winter, these birds migrate to the southeastern parts of the USA. In contrast, others can migrate further in the search for a neotropical climate.

What Do Bullock’s Orioles Eat?

What-Do-Bullocks-Orioles-Eat?

Diet: Bullock’s orioles are omnivorous birds whose diet includes butterflies, larvae, scale insects, beetles, and weevils. These birds will also occasionally eat mollusks, small lizards, and hummingbirds. Animal meat makes up about 60% of their diet. The other 40% of their nutrients are obtained from plant materials such as figs, blackberries, cherries, and figs.

Kingdom Order Family Genus Species
Animalia Passeriformes Icteridae Icterus Icterus bullockii

Hunting Techniques: Hunting TechniquesThe Bullock’s orioles hunt by gleaning insects from tree branches, leaves, and trunks. These birds can also pluck spiders from their webs or the air.

Where can it be spotted? Bird Watching The Bullock’s orioles can be seen in the western United States. These birds also winter as far as Mexico. The bullock’s orioles are commonly open woodlands next to streams, mesquite woodlands, orchards, and parks.

What Do Jamaican Orioles Eat?

What Do Jamaican Orioles Eat?
What Do Jamaican Orioles Eat? (Source: Wikimedia)

Diet: The Jamaican orioles are omnivores whose diet consists of insects and fruits. About 70% of their diet is drawn from insects, while the other 30% is supplemented by fruits.

Kingdom Order Family Genus Species
Animalia Passeriformes Icteridae Icterus Icterus leucopteryx

Hunting Techniques: Hunting TechniquesThe Jamaican orioles find their prey by gleaning and probing bromeliads or peeling barks in search of their prey.

Where can it be spotted? Bird Watching Jamaican orioles are found mainly on the island of Jamaica and in the Island of San Andre. These birds formerly occurred in the Cayman Islands and Grand Cayman.In these regions, the bird is commonly sighted next to tropical or subtropical moist forests and tropical or subtropical moist montane forests.

What Do Golden Orioles Eat?

What-Do-Golden-Orioles-Eat?

Diet: Golden orioles are omnivorous, whose diet mainly consists of small insects and fruits. They also feed on nectar, seeds, and pollen. On rare occasions, these birds will also feed on nestlings, small lizards, eggs, and small mammals. About 70% of their diet is composed of invertebrates, while the other 30% is supplemented by plant materials.

Kingdom Order Family Genus Species
Animalia Passeriformes Oriolidae Oriolus Oriolus oriolus

Hunting Techniques: Hunting TechniquesThe golden orioles forage on the ground and tree canopies. These birds use their bills to pick insects from crevices.

Where can it be spotted? Bird Watching The golden oriole can be spotted in Europe, Africa, and Asia. In Europe, they are found in England, particularly in the south and east coast and Lakenheath reserve.

What Do Black-headed Orioles Eat?

What Do Black Headed Orioles Eat?

Diet: Black-headed orioles are omnivorous organisms that feed on a vast range of invertebrates, seeds, and fruits. The invertebrates that makeup 70% of their diet include honeybees, damselflies, dragonflies, caterpillars, and termites. Fruits, nectar, and seeds make up 30% of their diet.

Kingdom Order Family Genus Species
Animalia Passeriformes Oriolidae Oriolus Oriolus larvatus

Hunting Techniques: Hunting TechniquesThe black-headed orioles forage in canopies and on the ground. In addition, these birds forage in mixed flocks, which is strategic because it increases their chances of finding prey.

Where can it be spotted? Bird Watching Black-headed orioles are found over a wide range in South Africa. In South Africa, this bird will likely be found in dry tropical forests. This bird is also found in Angola, Ethiopia, Zambia, Somalia, Zimbabwe, and Mozambique.

What Do Black-naped Orioles Eat?

What Do Black Naped Orioles Eat?

Diet: Black-naped Orioles are omnivores whose diet consists of plant and animal matter. Insects like mothsand dragonfliesmake up about 70% of their diet. The other 30% is supplemented by fruits such as bananas.

Kingdom Order Family Genus Species
Animalia Passeriformes Oriolidae Oriolus Oriolus chinensis

Hunting Techniques: Hunting TechniquesThe black-naped orioles forage in high tree canopies. In the tree canopies, these birds forage for insects and larvae, alone or in groups to increase the chances of catching prey. These birds can also forage for mixed flocks.

Where can it be spotted? Bird Watching The black-naped orioles can be spotted in India, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia, South Korea, and Japan. These birds are likely to be seen in forested habitats, gardens, and plantations in these countries.

When Do Orioles Eat?

When Do Orioles Eat?

Most orioles, Baltimore orioles included, are diurnal, meaning they tend to forage during daylight hours. At night, these birds rest.

How Much Do Orioles Eat?

How Much Do Orioles Eat? (Cuban Oriole)

How much food orioles eat depends on several factors, including the species and the type of food. For example, Baltimore orioles have been observed to down 14 caterpillars in 6 minutes, while others have been observed to eat 27 caterpillars in 8 minutes.

How Often Do Orioles Eat?

How Often Do Orioles Eat?

Orioles eat as often as they can to address their nutrient needs. However, how often they eat is determined by food availability and the stage in their lifecycle. For example, younger orioles spend most of their time searching for food to sustain their growth.

What Eats Orioles?

What Eats Orioles? Magpies

Orioles fall prey to different organisms that rely on them for food. Some of their predators are outlined below:

  • Baltimore oriole: These birds’ eggs and young ones are predated by squirrels, large birds, domestic cats, and owls.
  • Bullock’s orioles: Rodents and some bird species.
  • Jamaican orioles: There is limited information about Jamaican orioles’ predation. However, evidence suggests that these birds’ eggs and nestlings fall prey to some birds and reptile species.
  • Golden Orioles: The golden orioles are predated by jackdaws, magpies, squirrels, and carrion crows.
  • Black-headed Orioles: Black-headed orioles are predated by peregrine and lanner falcons.
  • Black-naped Orioles: The black-naped orioles are predated by the oriental pied hornbill. Nest predators include tree sparrows, hawks, and black bulbuls.

Orioles Roles in Animal Food Chain

Orioles play an instrumental role in the animal food chain in various capacities. In their role as prey, they help sustain carnivorous and omnivorous animals by providing them a great source of protein. These birds also feed on insects, spiders, worms, and snails. In this capacity, they help regulate the local population of these invertebrates.

Evidently, the absence of orioles will likely destabilize the integrity of the animal food chain.

How do young orioles get their nutrients during their first days of life?

For the first few days of their life, young orioles are fed by their parents. Then, the parents regurgitate the food they have already eaten.

Why is a high-protein diet important for oriole nestlings?

A high-protein diet obtained from insect consumption is essential for nestlings to support their growth.

Why do some orioles change their diet by the season?

Some orioles, especially those that experience winter, adjust their diet depending on food availability. During the warmer seasons, invertebrates are in plenty. So, a more significant portion of their nutrients will be obtained from them. However, during winter, fruits and berries are in plenty, so most of their nutrients will likely be drawn from plant matter.

Orioles are one of the world’s vibrant birds whose role in the food chain and their ecosystems, in general, is undisputed. Moreover, many of these species inhabit various parts of the world. Therefore, it is essential to emphasize the need to protect them to ensure that the integrity of their food chains is maintained.

Cite This Page

APA7MLA8Chicago
BioExplorer.net. (2021, October 27). What Do Orioles Eat? Explore Oriole Diets, Hunting & Eating Habits. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/what-do-orioles-eat.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "What Do Orioles Eat? Explore Oriole Diets, Hunting & Eating Habits" Bio Explorer, 27 October 2021, https://www.bioexplorer.net/what-do-orioles-eat.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "What Do Orioles Eat? Explore Oriole Diets, Hunting & Eating Habits" Bio Explorer, October 27 2021. https://www.bioexplorer.net/what-do-orioles-eat.html/.
Key References
  • “Baltimore Oriole | Audubon Field Guide”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “FOOD OF THE HABITS AND FEEDING BEHAVIOR BALTIMORE ORIOLE IN COSTA RICA” by RICHARD L. TIMKEN. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Baltimore Oriole | National Geographic”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “ADW: Icterus bullockii: INFORMATION”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Bullock’s Oriole (west) | Celebrate Urban Birds”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Bullock’s Oriole – eBird”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Adventure Guide to Jamaica – Paris Permenter, John Bigley – Google Books”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “The Complete Birds of the World: Every Species Illustrated – Norman Arlott, Ber van Perlo, Jorge R. Rodriguez Mata, Gustavo Carrizo, Aldo A. Chiappe, Luis Huber – Google Books”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Jamaican Oriole (Icterus leucopteryx) · iNaturalist”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Golden Oriole – Facts, Diet, Habitat & Pictures on Animalia.bio”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Oiseaux d Europe John Gould Vol. 2 Les Passereaux – Edmond Lorot – Google Books”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Golden Oriole Bird Facts | Oriolus Oriolus – The RSPB”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Oriolus larvatus (Black-headed oriole)”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Observations of mixed-species bird flocks at Kichwa Tembo Camp Kenya” by Alasdair I V Gordon and Nancy M Harrison. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Black Headed Oriole – Birds – South Africa”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Rescue of Black-Naped Oriole chicks – Bird Ecology Study Group”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Black-naped Oriole – eBird Taiwan”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Black-naped Oriole (Oriolus chinensis) – BirdLife species factsheet”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Journey North Signs of Spring”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Some insects injurious to garden and orchard crops : a series of articles dealing with insects of this class : Chittenden, F. H. (Frank Hurlbut), 1858-1929 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Journey North Oriole”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Baltimore Oriole | National Wildlife Federation”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Nest Predators of Open and Cavity Nesting birds in Oak Woodlands” by Kathryn L. Purcell and Jared Verner. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “ADW: Icterus leucopteryx: INFORMATION”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “DIETS OF BREEDING PEREGRINE AND LANNER FALCONS IN SOUTH AFRICA” by ANDREW R. JENKINS and GRAHAM M. AVERY. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Black-naped oriole-Encyclopedia of Life”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Journey North Oriole Spring 2003”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “The Oriole Book – Nancy Flood – Google Books”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Diet and Foraging – Baltimore Oriole – Icterus galbula – Birds of the World”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Baltimore Oriole Life History, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “IUCN Red List of Threatened Species”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Old World: Oriole, Figbirds (Oriolidae)”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.
  • “Old World Orioles and Figbirds (Oriolidae) | Encyclopedia.com”. Accessed August 15, 2021. Link.


  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here