What Do Frogs Eat? Over 4,700 species of frogs exist in the animal kingdom. These tiny creatures are classified as amphibians (Order: Anura) thanks to the fact that they live partly on land and partly in the water.
These naturally and beautifully painted organisms are carnivorous, given that they eat live preys. Their diet mainly constitutes insects, clams and other small animals with examples of earthworms and spiders.
Table of Contents
- What Do Frogs Eat?
- Frog Diet by Types
- How do Frogs Hunt?
- When do Frogs Eat?
- How Often Do Frogs Eat?
- What Eats Frogs?
- Where Do Frogs fit in the Animal Food Chain?
- Key References
What Do Frogs Eat?
|Type of Frog||Diet|
|Tomato Frog||Insects, worms, and larvae|
|Goliath Frog||Larvae, small frogs, insects, fish, salamanders, crustaceans, small mammals, and mollusks|
|Amazon Milk Frog||Crickets|
|Red-eyed Tree Frog||Crickets, moths, and flies|
|Pacman Frog||Insects, mice, worms, fish, other frogs, and smaller reptiles|
|Mantellas and Dart Frog||Ants and termites|
|Green Tree Frog||Crickets, worms, and earthworms|
Frog Diet by Types
As was earlier noted, a spectacular range of frog species lives on the earth. The types of frogs that will be discussed in this section are a selected few, most of which can be found on the tropics given that a majority of the frog species live on the world’s renown tropical rainforests.
What Do Tomato Frogs Eat?
Tomato frogs feed on insects, worms, and larvae.
Tomato frog looks like a ripe tomato from a distance. The brightest and most significant members of this species are females. Its native habitat is the tropical rainforests, mainly those in Madagascar.
What Do Goliath Frogs Eat?
Goliath frog is the most giant frog on the face of the earth. Their habitat includes regionslarvae,terfalls and fast-flowing rivers located in humid and dense rainforests. Interestingly, their habitat is also determined by the availability of larvae, which is their typical delicacy.
What Do Amazon Milk Frogs Eat?
Amazon Milk frogs feed on small invertebrates such as crickets.
Amazon Milk frogs get their name from the white sticky substance they secrete via their skin when they are faced with immense danger. This type of frogs is commonly found in tropical rainforests .
What Do Red-eyed Tree Frogs Eat?
Red-eyed Tree frogs enjoy a carnivorous diet by feeding on insects (crickets, moths, and flies).
Red-eyed Tree frog has unique colorful adaptations that are helpful in the event of danger. Their habitat mainly constitutes the tropical lowlands.
What Do Pacman Frogs Eat?
Pacman frogs consume a varied diet consisting of insects, mice, worms, fish, other frogs, and smaller reptile members.
There are Eight species of Pacman frogs exist. They are commonly found in humid and warm environments, especially in the tropical rainforests and swampy environs.
What Do Mantellas and Dart Frogs Eat?
Mantellas and Dart frogs mainly feed on insects, especially the ants and termites. They concentrate their poison from eating ants.
Mantellas and Dart frogs secrete substances through their skin, some of which are very toxic and can kill. Their habitat is mainly the tropical rainforests of South America.
What Do Green Tree Frogs Eat?
Green tree frogs commonly feed on live proteins with examples of crickets, worms, and earthworms.
The green tree frog is commonly found in Australia’s wet tropical region, especially the country’s wet tropical forests.
How do Frogs Hunt?
Interestingly, most frogs do not go about hunting for their prey.
- Instead, they wait for their prey to come closer to them for them to launch an attack.
- When their prey comes close enough, they grab it with the help of their sticky tongues.
- They then envelop the prey with their mouths and then proceed to consume it live. When eating their prey, they close their eyes to facilitate the swallowing process.
When do Frogs Eat?
Most frog species are nocturnal, and will thus tend to find it much easier to catch their prey and consume it in the dark of the night. Diurnal frog species will tend to eat during the day.
How Often Do Frogs Eat?
Given that they are cold-blooded, frogs do not need to eat food very often to promote their metabolism.
What Eats Frogs?
Where Do Frogs fit in the Animal Food Chain?
In their life cycles, frogs play an instrumental role in the animal food chain as prey and predators. They are a cardinal food source to the animals which feed on them. They also feed on other small animals and insects, thus regulating instances of overpopulation.
Like any other animal in the food chain, the extinction of frogs in the ecosystem would disturb the balance and order in the animal food chain.
Cite This Page
- “Is a Frog a Carnivore? | Reference.com”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/frog-carnivore-f1ad0d38fe3084cd.
- “Basic Facts About Frogs | Defenders of Wildlife”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://defenders.org/frogs/basic-facts.
- “Rainforest frogs – picture slideshow”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://kids.mongabay.com/slideshows/rainforest-frogs/.
- “Tomato frog | Smithsonian’s National Zoo”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/tomato-frog.
- “ADW: Conraua goliath: INFORMATION”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Conraua_goliath/.
- “Fun Facts About Amazon Milk Frogs | Smithsonian’s National Zoo”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/news/fun-facts-about-amazon-milk-frogs.
- “Red-Eyed Tree Frog | National Geographic”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/amphibians/r/red-eyed-tree-frog/.
- “Pacman Frog – Description, Habitat, Image, Diet, and Interesting Facts”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://animals.net/pacman-frog/.
- “Mantella frog Facts and Information | SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://seaworld.org/animals/facts/amphibians/mantella-frogs/.
- “15 Different Type of Frogs You Should Know About”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://tailandfur.com/different-type-of-frogs-you-should-know-about/.
- “American-Green-Tree-Frog”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://www.petsuppliesplus.com/en/Resource-Center/Reptile/American-Green-Tree-Frog.
- “Some Wet Tropics frogs | Wet Tropics Management Authority”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://www.wettropics.gov.au/wet-tropics-frogs.
- “Are Frogs Nocturnal? | Reference.com”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/frogs-nocturnal-c937622c10aca63.
- “Frog Enemies!”. Accessed June 17, 2019. http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/general/numbers.html.
- “Why frogs need saving” – phys.org. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://phys.org/news/2017-05-frogs.html.
- “Leszek Leszczynski | Flickr”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://www.flickr.com/photos/leszekleszczynski/.
- “File:Ceratophrys ornata (Pacman Frog).JPG – Wikimedia Commons”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ceratophrys_ornata_(Pacman_Frog).JPG.
- “File:Variegated golden frog (Mantella baroni) Ranomafana.jpg – Wikipedia”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Variegated_golden_frog_(Mantella_baroni)_Ranomafana.jpg.
- “File:David and Goliath (16760915056).jpg – Wikimedia Commons”. Accessed June 17, 2019. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:David_and_Goliath_(16760915056).jpg.