Best Colleges For Biochemistry: Biochemistry or Biological chemistry is the science devoted to the biological molecules that are crucial for normal activity of living cells, namely proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and bioactive molecules (neurotransmitters, vitamins, or hormones).
Table of Contents
- What does one need to get admitted to a Biochemistry program?
- Best colleges for biochemistry
- 1. University of California Los Angeles, LA
- 2. University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
- 3. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH.
- 4. University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI
- 5. Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
- 6. Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- 7. Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
- 8. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 9. Rice University, Houston, TX
- 10. Massachusets Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
Biochemistry is a laboratory and interdisciplinary science that employs biological, chemical, and physical methods.
Biochemistry majors can have multiple opportunities in the future:
- Research positions as research technicians, junior research assistants, and postdoctoral fellows.
- Teaching positions in universities and colleges.
- Positions in the industry, such as pharmaceutical industry, nutrition, and biotechnology.
- The biochemistry curriculum fulfills all requirements for passing the Medical College Admissions Test or Dental Admissions Test and can help with admission to a medical, pharmaceutical, or dental school.
- Transition to careers in Intellectual property law, Public health, and Scientific journalism.
What does one need to get admitted to a Biochemistry program?
Usually, Biochemistry is not a major to be declared during an application. One can either commit to Biochemistry major during the application period or can choose to pursue a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry at a later date.
This means that admission requirements for a Biochemistry BS/BA are usually the same as the general admission requirements of a particular college one is applying to. As a rule, the students need to submit:
- ACT and ACT writing test or SAT exam with an Essay score (SAT 1260-1420, ACT 28-32).
- School transcripts for the 10-11thgrade (GPA between 3.52 to 4.06).
- Recommendation letter from a teacher.
- Evidence of extracurricular activities.
- Scores for Advanced Placements (AP), Honors, International Baccalaureate (IB) courses and exams.
- An essay.
- For some biochemistry programs, the average GPA in chemistry courses must be no lower than 3.00.
Best colleges for biochemistry
Here are the top 10 best colleges for biochemistry in the United States:
1. University of California Los Angeles, LA
The Biochemistry major is offered as a part of coursework at the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department at the UCLA College of Letters and Sciences. The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), the regional accrediting agency serving higher education institutions in California, Hawaii, and the Pacific Region.
The department offers two-degree options:
- Biochemistry Undergraduate major, resulting in the Bachelor of Science (B. S.) degree.
- Biochemistry, Molecular, and Structural Biology graduate program. The successful completion of the program results in a Ph. D.degree, and it is possible to earn a Masters’s while on doctoral track.
Note that the department does not offer a separate Biochemistry Masters degree program.
Why is UCLA best for Biochemistry?
- The faculty offers a transdisciplinary approach, allowing the students to acquire tools to work in various scientific fields.
- It is possible to take an additional computing specialization.
- The coursework of the Bachelor of Science major covers most of the requirements for MCAT/medical school admissions, except Statistics.
- The department offers exciting research opportunities.
- UCLA is in the top 5 Chemistry schools in the inaugural U. S.News and World Report Rankings.
2. University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
Biochemistry Bachelor of Science degree is offered at the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry of the University of Oregon (UO), Eugene. The program is certified by the American Chemical Society. The Northwest Commission regionally accredits the University of Oregon on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
The department offers several degree options:
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry (Major).
- Undergraduate Minor in Biochemistry.
- Ph. D.in Biochemistry.
The department focuses on the Masters Internship Program in Chemistry and does not usually offer traditional MA/MS degrees in Biochemistry at the moment.
Why is UO the best for Biochemistry?
- The Biochemistry degree includes rigorous, up-to-date coursework in relevant subjects.
- The coursework prepares students for work in various settings, from health to industry.
- The program is focused on the acquisition of practical laboratory and other professional skills.
- The undergraduate students have an opportunity to participate in the research along with the academic courses.
- The students can enter the Masters Internship program after graduating.
- The faculty offers a good range of advanced courses.
- There are 4 colleges in Oregon offering Biochemistry degrees, and the University of Oregon offers the best one.
3. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH.
The Biochemistry degree at the Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) is offered at the Biochemistry Department, a part of the CWRU School of Medicine. The Case Western Reserve University is accredited at the institutional level by the Higher Learning Commission.
The department offers several degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry.
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry.
- Master of Science in Biochemistry.
- Ph. D.in Biochemistry.
Why is CWRU best for Biochemistry?
- The Department offers flexibility with its degrees – it is possible to choose between:
- Bachelor of Arts, with less focus on quantitative research and suitable for the Medicine track.
- Bachelor of Science, with a focus on Math/Physics, as well as research.
- Quality research facilities.
- Opportunity to participate in the biomedical research.
- The department offers dual degree Masters Programs. There are three options:
- JD/MS in Biochemistry -Careers in both research and patent law/intellectual property.
- MBA/MS in Biochemistry – Careers in medical research and management.
- MD/MS in Biochemistry – part of the Biomedical Investigation program.
4. University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI
The Biochemistry major of the University of Michigan (UM) is offered at the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) at the University of Michigan campus at the Ann Arbor, MI. The University of Michigan is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
The University of Michigan offers several possible degrees in the Biochemistry field:
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, LSA.
- Masters Program in Biochemistry, Department of Biological Chemistry, Medical School.
- Ph. D.program in Biochemistry, Department of Biological Chemistry, Medical School.
Why is the University of Michigan for Biochemistry?
- The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is ranked 11 in Biochemistry by US News .
- Optional classes in molecular biology available.
- It would be possible to undertake research instead of traditional laboratory classes.
- Ann Arbor campus is famous for its biomedical research.
5. Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
Biochemistry Option is offered at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the Eberly College of Science, Penn State University. Penn State’s undergraduate degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BMB) was one of the first programs nationwide to be awarded accreditation from the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB). The Middle States Commission on Higher education accredits Pennsylvania State University.
The department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology offers the following degrees:
- Biochemistry Undergraduate Major (B. S.).
- Ph. D.degree in Biochemistry.
Why is the University of Pennsylvania best for Biochemistry?
- The program has a strong emphasis on chemistry and physics of molecular form and function.
- The coursework fulfills almost all requirements for a minor in chemistry.
- Health- and genetics-related advanced courses offered at the faculty.
- The graduates of the program are highly sought out in the industry.
- It is possible to combine the program with other majors.
6. Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Biochemistry is offered by the Department of Chemistry of the Georgetown College, Georgetown University. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education accredits Georgetown University.
The Department of Chemistry of Georgetown University offers the following degrees:
- B.S. in Biochemistry.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry.
Why is the University of Georgetown best for Biochemistry?
- Coursework focused on quantitative research and analysis.
- Integrated writing courses aimed at teaching students effective scientific writing.
- Various research opportunities for undergraduate students.
- Among other research specializations, it is possible to participate in malaria research.
7. Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ
The department of Chemistry of the College of Arts and Sciences of the Seton Hall University offers several programs for those who wish to major in Biochemistry. Seton Hall is formally affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. The University has received accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Seton Hall University offers a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry.
Why is the Seton Hall University best for biochemistry?
- They offer a research-oriented program.
- State-of-the-art equipment.
- Affiliation with the Center of the Academic-Industry Partnership.
- The program offered by the department can be customized based on the student`s interests, preparation levels, and career goals.
8. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
The biochemistry Bachelor of Science degree is offered by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Ohio State University. The Higher Learning Commission accredits Ohio State University.
The department offers the following programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry.
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry.
- Ohio State Biochemistry Graduate Program.
Why is the Ohio State University best for Biochemistry?
- Quality undergraduate and graduate programs for biochemistry.
- Tutoring and student support available.
- The Chemistry program of OSU is currently at the 30 places among the best Chemistry programs in the US News and The World Report.
- OHIO 5-OSU SURE program (summer undergraduate research experience) is offered at the university.
- Unique research experiences for students.
9. Rice University, Houston, TX
The Biosciences Department offers the Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry degree at the University of Rice. The University of Rice is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees.
The Biosciences department offers the following Biochemistry degrees:
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Cell Biology.
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry And Cell Biology.
- Minor in Biochemistry and Cell Biology.
- Accelerated degree BA/MS/Ph.D. in the field of Biochemistry and Cell Biology.
- Master of Science in Biochemistry and Cell Biology.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Cell Biology.
Why is the university of Rice best for Biochemistry?
- The University of Rice is one of the best 14 Universities in the United States.
- Diverse degree options.
- Multidisciplinary degree programs options.
- Prominent researchers among the faculty members.
- Faculty members have research expertise in various areas of Biology and Chemistry:
- Unique advanced courses that are not offered elsewhere.
- Quality online courses available.
10. Massachusets Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Biology is a joint program offered by the Departments of Chemistry and Biology at MIT. The coursework is also referred to as course 5-7. MIT is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education.
There are two-degree programs at MIT for Biochemistry:
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and Biology.
- Ph.D. degree/graduate program.
Why is MIT best for Biochemistry?
- A highly exclusive institution with a stellar reputation as a leader in molecular life sciences.
- Unique advanced courses in Molecular Biology and Genomics.
- Access to the state-of-the-art equipment.
- Multiple research opportunities.
- Courses in current topics in Biology/Chemistry/Biochemistry.
- Flexible studying options.
- Opportunity to study outside the campus through a variety of accessible online courses.
For a person wanting to enter the exciting world of biochemistry, there is a variety of good colleges throughout the states with varying degrees of accessibility.
It is best to choose an option that would help you with your long-term plan – for instance, entering the industry or medical school. Most of the colleges listed offer campus visits and interviews that would allow the student to understand better if that particular college is a good fit.
It is also a good idea to choose a college that offers online courses and summer programs that would help the student to see what the professors are like and how the research is conducted.
Of course, colleges like the University of Rice or MIT would have the best equipment and research facilities, but it does not mean they are the only places to offer excellent education.
There are less selective colleges that would give a student comprehensive Biochemistry education and become a stepping stone for an excellent career in any area.
Cite This Page