Zoology Graduate Programs: Do you love animals? Do you want a career where you can work with them on their natural habitat? Or do you love monitoring wildlife health in general? Well, if you answered mostly yes, perhaps zoology might be the perfect career for you!
Scroll down below and find out more on educational qualifications, zoology graduate programs, top 5 zoology colleges in the USA, job opportunities and much more. Let’s explore them:
Table of Contents
- What is Zoology?
- Major Branches of Zoology
- What are the Educational Requirements?
- Top 5 Universities offer Zoology Degree Programs
- What Can You Do With A Zoology Degree?
- How Much Zoologist Make?
What is Zoology?
Major Branches of Zoology
Because of the wide scope of Zoology that typically ranges from the wide variety of animals in the Animal kingdom, physiological processes that occur within them, and their existence in the environment. The following are just some of the major courses that you will likely to encounter when you take up zoology.
4. Wildlife Management and Ecology
Aside from the fields mentioned above, zoologists can get involved in certain techniques and processes that are associated with their field of specialization. Examples of this are vertebrate zoologists who focus on vertebrates (animals with backbone) and invertebrate zoologists who study otherwise.
What are the Educational Requirements?
Zoology alone is a very wide field with many sub-branches for research and specialization. The following are the educational requirements you need to meet when you wish to pursue a career in zoology:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology
- Most of the time, programs in zoology require students to take general science subjects like biology, mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Usually, no specializations are required during a bachelor’s degree.
2. Master’s Degree in Zoology
- A master’s degree in zoology is basically almost similar to the subjects of an undergraduate degree. However, students are already required to choose their field of specialization and carry out more advance research in this chosen field.
- Students are expected to come up with their original research and project.
3. Doctorate Degree in Zoology
- Students are required to have their specialization and produce their own dissertation and successfully defend it to their peers.
- Field research in doctorate degrees are already geared toward the development of plans for the conservation of some species of animals.
It is important to note that when majoring in zoology, it is highly advised that you get involved in internships and volunteer works . Not only does it enhances your skills and helps you gain real-life experiences but also increases future work opportunities.
Top 5 Universities offer Zoology Degree Programs
If you are already serious about obtaining that Zoology degree, we listed below the top 5 universities in the United States that are known to excel in this field:
1. Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)
More Info: Miami University Zoology Degree Programs
2. Cornell University (Ithaca, New York)
More Info: Cornell University Zoology Degree Programs
3. Duke University (Durham, North Carolina)
More Info: Duke University Zoology Degree Programs
4. University of Wisconsin (Madison, Wisconsin)
More Info: University of Wisconsin Zoology Degree Programs
5. Ohio State University (Columbus, Ohio)
More Info: Ohio State University Zoology Degree Programs
What Can You Do With A Zoology Degree?
- Most of the time, graduates of zoology pursue careers in the academe and work as teachers and professors.
- Careers in animal health and behavior are also a good field for zoology graduates. Some also choose to work in zoos and rehabilitation as wildlife and conservation experts.
How Much Zoologist Make?
- The bureau also claimed that the employment rate in this field is assumed to grow by seven percent in 2020.
- Furthermore, statistics revealed that the states Maryland, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, and New Jersey are the top five highest paying states for wildlife biologists and zoologists in general.
- Basically, the amount of salary that you might be able to get is largely dependent on your educational attainment. The more knowledge and experience you gain, the more likely that your wage might increase.
Indeed, working as a zoologist can be a dream job for those who love animals. While of course, passion alone is not enough. You still need to have the proper knowledge and considerable skills to be able to become one. But now after knowing the basics, are you ready to become one?
- – “What is Taxonomy?”. Accessed July 11, 2017. Link.
- – “Anatomy | MedlinePlus”. Accessed July 11, 2017. Link.
- – “Animal Physiology Research.” Animal Physiology – Research – Biological Sciences – University of Canterbury – New Zealand. Accessed July 11, 2017. Link.
- – “Zoology Degrees | Top Universities”. Accessed July 11, 2017. Link.
- – “Zoologist Career Information: Becoming a Zoologist”. Accessed July 11, 2017. Link.
- – “What Is the Standard Beginning Wage As a Zoologist? | Chron.com”. Accessed July 11, 2017. Link.