Ryland’s Bald-Faced Saki Distribution
Ryland’s Bald-Faced Saki Characteristics
The Ryland’s Bald-Faced Saki (Pithecia rylandsi) is a controversial species of saki monkey, a New World Monkey species. It is one of the largest sakis.
- This species is easily distinguished from all other sakis by its large size, black, bare face, and highly whitish-gray hair, often making older males appear almost entirely white.
- Young males are black with medium gray.
- Adult females are nearly as intensely white as males, and their forehead hair may form white “fringes“.
Ryland’s Bald-faced Saki Facts
- This South American monkey was named after Brazilian primatologist Anthony Rylands, a former professor of vertebrate zoology at the Federal University of Minas Gerais and founding editor of the journal Neotropical Primates.
- This species is believed to be threatened by deforestation for livestock and poaching, so its population is declining.
- Ryland’s Bald-Faced Sakis has a prominent hairline above the eyes, giving the impression of “bangs“.
- These monkeys are known for being solitary due to their calm nature and avoidance of humans.
- They exhibit a specific type of frugivore, primarily feeding on unripe fruit seeds.
Suggested Reading: Kinds of Monkeys In Africa
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 04). Ryland’s Bald-faced Saki. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/rylands-bald-faced-saki/.
BioExplorer.net. "Ryland’s Bald-faced Saki" Bio Explorer, 04 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/rylands-bald-faced-saki/.
BioExplorer.net. "Ryland’s Bald-faced Saki" Bio Explorer, June 04 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/rylands-bald-faced-saki/.