- Common Name: Guianan Bearded Saki
- Taxonomy Classification Year: 1821
- Monkey Size: 41 to 46 cm (16 to 18 inches)
- Skin Color(s): Red to yellowish gold
- Habitat: Forest, rainforest
- Diet: Omnivorous
- Native Countries: Brazil, Venezuela, Guianas
Guianan Bearded Saki Distribution
Red-Backed Bearded Saki Characteristics
The red-backed bearded saki (Chiropotes chiropotes), also known as Guianan Bearded Saki, is a New World Monkey native to South America.
- The red-backed bearded saki has a bushy beard, especially the males.
- These South American monkeys have a bush of hair on both sides of their heads.
- Its body is covered with thick hair, varying from red to golden yellow. Its non-prehensile, and the furry tail is nearly as long as its body.
- Female Red-backed Bearded sakis are generally smaller than males. The average body length is about 45 cm long, and it weighs between 2.6 and 7.1 kg. It moves quadrupedally but can stand erect.
Red-Backed Bearded Saki Facts
- Because their food sources are often plentiful, they move quickly from one food tree to another, stopping briefly to feed before moving on.
- Red-backed bearded sakis have dental adaptations that easily break the pods.
- They live in groups of about 40 members of both sexes, sometimes separated into groups when traveling or foraging, their primary occupation.
- After 5 months of gestation, each female gives birth to one cub during the rainy season.
- When these monkeys are forced to inhabit small patches of forest, their travel distance is reduced. As a result, they visit the same food trees more often than when they live in intact forests.
Suggested Reading: Primates
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 04). Red-backed Bearded Saki. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/red-backed-bearded-saki/.
BioExplorer.net. "Red-backed Bearded Saki" Bio Explorer, 04 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/red-backed-bearded-saki/.
BioExplorer.net. "Red-backed Bearded Saki" Bio Explorer, June 04 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/red-backed-bearded-saki/.