- Common Name: Natuna Island Surili
- Taxonomy Classification Year: 1894
- Monkey Size: 41 to 69 cm (16.14 to 27.17 in)
- Skin Color(s): Brown-gray
- Habitat: Forest, rainforest
- Diet: Herbivorous
- Native Countries: Indonesia
Natuna Island Surili Distribution
Natuna Island Surili Characteristics
The Natuna Island Surili (Presbytis natunae) is a primate species in the Cercopithecidae family.
- The species is native to the Indonesian island of Natuna Besar.
- Natuna Island surili is of a common surili build, measuring between 41 and 69 cm in height and weighing between 5 and 6.7 kg.
- Their slender figure is covered with a gray-brown fur coat on the back, white fur on the belly, and dark fur on the head.
- Their tails, usually covered in dark fur, can grow to about 58 to 85 cm (23 to 33 in) long.
- Compared to adults, babies are born with light fur and dark cross-hairs along the arms and back.
Natuna Island Surili Facts
- Small unimale-multifemale family troops (or groups) are the norm for the species.
- Natuna Island Surilis are territorial and always on the lookout for predators.
- These charming monkeys are active during the day (making them diurnal) and spend most of their time in trees (making them arboreal).
- They move quadrupedally (on all fours), climbing upward, jumping, clambering, or sometimes swinging from branch to branch.
- With a long-outstretched arm, they can reach out and use a dexterous hand to pluck a piece of their desired fruit.
Suggested Reading: Different Types of Small Monkeys
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 04). Natuna Island Surili. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/natuna-island-surili/.
BioExplorer.net. "Natuna Island Surili" Bio Explorer, 04 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/natuna-island-surili/.
BioExplorer.net. "Natuna Island Surili" Bio Explorer, June 04 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/natuna-island-surili/.