- Common Name: Black-headed Marmoset
- Taxonomy Classification Year: 1992
- Monkey Size: 22 to 28 cm (9 to 11 in)
- Skin Color(s): Silvery-gray
- Habitat: Rainforest
- Diet: Omnivorous
- Native Countries: Brazil
Black-headed Marmoset Distribution
Black-Headed Marmoset Characteristics
The black-headed marmoset is a species of marmoset native to Brazil. It inhabits Tropical Rainforests, mainly second growth and fringes.
- Black-headed marmoset has the characteristic general color pattern of the Argentatus group.
- The body is silvery gray, with the fur darkening on the ventral and posterior parts.
- The mantle, arm, and belly have orange and tan tones. The back is brown, the hind legs are orange-brown, and the tail is black.
Black-Headed Marmoset Facts
- Black-headed marmoset lives in large family groups of 4 to 15 individuals. Typically, only one female per group breeds during any given breeding season.
- Groups defend home ranges of 10 to 40 ha, the size of which depends on the availability and distribution of food and secondary growth patches.
- This marmoset inhabits the tropical rainforest with a preference for secondary growth and marginal habitats.
- These Brazilian monkeys have morphological and behavioral adaptations for uprooting tree trunks, vines, and branches of some species to stimulate the flow of gum they eat.
- Mico nigriceps is believed to be near threatened due to deforestation related to livestock keeping, agriculture, and the construction of road networks.
Suggested Reading: Types of Monkeys List
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 07). Black-headed Marmoset. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/black-headed-marmoset/.
BioExplorer.net. "Black-headed Marmoset" Bio Explorer, 07 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/black-headed-marmoset/.
BioExplorer.net. "Black-headed Marmoset" Bio Explorer, June 07 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/black-headed-marmoset/.