- Common Name: Alta Floresta titi
- Taxonomy Classification Year: 2019
- Monkey Size: 23 to 46 cm (9.1 to 18.1 inches)
- Skin Color(s): Red, brow, gray or black
- Habitat: Rainforest
- Diet: Omnivorous
- Native Countries: Brazil
Alta Floresta titi Distribution
Alta Floresta Titi Characteristics
The Alta Floresta titi is a distinct but unnamed form of titi (Plecturocebus) rediscovered in 2011 in Chapada dos Parecis, a plateau in the far south of the Brazilian state of Rondônia.
- The Alta Floresta titi differs from all other species of the genus Plecturocebus by its predominantly greyish agouti fur.
- The limbs are gray on the outside and off-white on the inside. The chest, neck, and sideburns are grayish-white as well.
- The back is reddish-brown, and the tail is gray, paler to white at the tip.
- The light-yellow coloring of the hair on the cheeks contrasts with the bright auburn hair on the sides of the face.
Alta Floresta Titi Facts
- The Alta Floresta titi can be distinguished from other species in the Plecturocebus moloch group by the combination of its agouti-like dorsal parts, glossy reddish-brown abdomen, all-black white-tipped tail, and light-yellow fur on the cheeks.
- The alternate name for this monkey is Groves’ titi. Alta Floresta titi is endemic to brazil, who will defend their territory by yelling and deterring invaders but hardly engage in combat.
- This species lives exclusively between the Teles-Pires and Juruena rivers in Mato Grosso.
- The region inhabited by the Titis of Alta Floresta is part of what is known as the Arc of Deforestation, a region in the southern Amazon with significant deforestation.
- A recent study predicts that there will be a total loss of 86% of this Brazilian primate habitat in the next 24 years.
- This Eastern Amazon clade monkey is closely related to P. moloch and P. vieirai.
Suggested Reading: Different Monkey Species
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 04). Alta Floresta Titi. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/alta-floresta-titi/.
BioExplorer.net. "Alta Floresta Titi" Bio Explorer, 04 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/alta-floresta-titi/.
BioExplorer.net. "Alta Floresta Titi" Bio Explorer, June 04 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/animals/mammals/monkeys/alta-floresta-titi/.