Marine Biology Colleges: Marine biology is a branch of biology that deals with the scientific study of organisms that inhabit oceans and other salt waters, and their interaction with their physical environment. Basically, this field is the application of different areas of biology as it requires the understanding of the organisms themselves as well as their habitats, interactions, and adaptations.
Table of Contents
- 1. Duke University (Durham, North Carolina)
- 2. Boston University (Boston, Massachusetts)
- 3. The University of Maine (Orono, Maine)
- 4. Eckerd College (St. Petersburg, Florida)
- 5. Oregon State University (Corvallis, Oregon)
- 6. University of Hawaii at Hilo (Hilo, Hawaii)
- 7. University of New England (Biddeford, Maine)
- 8. University of New Hampshire (Durham, New Hampshire)
- 9. University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
- 10. University of Tampa (Tampa, Florida)
So if you are planning on becoming a marine biologist but torn from choosing the best school, congratulations! You have come to the right place. Listed below are the top 10 best marine biology colleges and universities that offer marine science courses.
Best Marine Biology Colleges
1. Duke University (Durham, North Carolina)
- This university boasts its more than 45 research laboratories that help their students excel in the field of marine biology research.
- Aside from undergraduate programs, this university also offers both Master’s degree and Doctorate degree that focus on either marine biology or marine conservation biology. Basically students enrolled in such programs are trained in the fields of natural and social sciences.
- He pioneered the used of fossilized fecal matter (called coprolites) in the reconstruction of the ideas about primitive ecosystems.
Further Reading: Duke University – Marine Biology
2. Boston University (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Interestingly, Boston University offers a so-called “Marine Semester” that involves the in-depth study of marine biology courses.
- Unlike other schools, there are no Master’s degree and Doctorate degree programs offered in this school. However, students can still pursue such degrees in the departments of Biology and Earth & Environment.
Further Reading: Boston University – Marine Biology
3. The University of Maine (Orono, Maine)
- Powered with more than 30 professors specializing in marine sciences, the University of Maine represents the largest concentrations of experts in the state and is even considered as one of the best programs in the U.S.
- This university offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in the fields of Marine Science (with the concentration in marine biology and physical science) and Marine biology (majoring in oceanography) respectively.
Further Reading: University of Maine – Marine Biology
4. Eckerd College (St. Petersburg, Florida)
- Aside from the said fields, the school also offers a variety of courses, research opportunities and grants, and study abroad grants.
- Furthermore the school is located is located in a strategic location (near the Gulf of Mexico). This ideal location allows the students to have a comprehensive hands-on experience about marine science.
Further Reading: Eckerd College – Marine Science
5. Oregon State University (Corvallis, Oregon)
- The Hatfield Marine Center offers three terms: in spring, the school offers marine biology; in summer, marine and environmental studies; and in the fall, coastal ecology and resource management.
Further Reading: Oregon State University – Marine Biology
6. University of Hawaii at Hilo (Hilo, Hawaii)
- In the field of marine science, the school offers both a B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) and B.S. (Bachelor of Science) degrees. Every year the school varies its course offerings but they include the following: marine organisms, coral reef ecosystem, oceanography, and techniques in marine monitoring.
- Recently the Western Association of Summer Session gave the Excellence of Program Award to the Marine Science Summer Program of UH Hilo. The said association represents more than 80 academic institutions in the western U.S., Mexico, and Canada.
Further Reading: University of Hawaii – Marine Science
7. University of New England (Biddeford, Maine)
- The marine science program of the school is designed in order to provide the students a well-rounded education in both academic and research. The program is built along with the increasing needs for practical uses of marine science.
- The school boasts its state-of-the-art research facilities and laboratories that will train students not only in the core knowledge in marine science but its conservation as well.
- According to UNE, the students “don’t just learn marine science – they do marine science“.
Further Reading: University of New England – Marine Biology
8. University of New Hampshire (Durham, New Hampshire)
- As its name suggests, the school aims to provide students with interdisciplinary training in both marine science and ocean engineering. With that students are expected to contribute and be involved in scientific policies and management of marine resources.
- The school also has a variety of research facilities and laboratories that further enhance the student’s marine experience.
Further Reading: University of New Hampshire – Marine Biology
9. University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
- While the school specializes on its graduate programs more, it also offers introductory courses to students pursuing undergraduate programs.
- To encourage more students to enroll on the program, the school funds Teaching Assistantships for graduate students who are in their first years. Aside from that,the school also offers partial funding for staff that assists students.
Further Reading: University of North Carolina – Marine Biology
10. University of Tampa (Tampa, Florida)
- Among all of the degree programs, the Marine Science Biology degree is one of the defining and most prominent degrees that make the Department of Biology of the university to stand out. This is because nearly half of the faculty biology is studying about marine organisms and the marine ecosystem in general.
- The school is also located near the Tampa bay and thus allows easy and direct access for students, faculty, and researchers.
Further Reading: University of Tampa – Marine Science
Now after seen all best marine biology colleges, have you chosen your school?
Join Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list and get biology related news and updates to your email inbox.