- Common names: Plum Blossom, Japanese Apricot, Chinese Plum, Japanese Plum, Ume
- Plant Type: Deciduous tree
- Flower Dimensions: The petals of the simple plum blossom are 0.394-inch in length. The flowers with multi petals can double in size.
- Colors: White, pink, Rose, and red
- Flowering season: Late winter and early spring (February to March)
- Places in Japan with Plum Blossom: Tokyo
Plum blossom is a deciduous, rounded tree from Japan with great ornamental value. It can grow from 4 to 10 meters in height.
- The leaves are lanceolate to obovate, and the length is not more than 8 cm. There are more than 300 cultivars with flowers in single and double forms.
- These Japanese flowers have potent and sweetly fragrant and are about 0.79 to 0.98-inch in diameter.
- There are 5 ovate petals in the simple flowers, usually, 0.394-inch in length.
- The ume flower can also have multi-petals and be double in size. The Plum blossom tree is cultivated for its flowers and fruits.
Interesting Facts About Ume Flower
- This Japanese flower symbolizes good health, strong endurance, and the capability to overcome the hardships of the winter.
- The plum blossom also signifies prosperity since spring welcomes the season of farming.
- This tree is usually planted in the northeast of many temples and estates because it is believed to ward against evil and misfortune.
- The flower of the plum blossom is considered powerful and noble in Japan and East Asia. Therefore, the flower is usually graced on the crest of the samurai family.
- The ume flower in pale pink or white blossoms signifies faithfulness, purity of heart, and classiness.
Suggested Reading: Types of Flowers
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2022, November 28). Plum Blossom. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/plum-blossom/.
BioExplorer.net. "Plum Blossom" Bio Explorer, 28 November 2022, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/plum-blossom/.
BioExplorer.net. "Plum Blossom" Bio Explorer, November 28 2022. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/plum-blossom/.