A neurologist is a medical specialist that treats patients with a variety of disorders of the nervous system (brain, spinal cord, and neurons).
A Clinical Neurophysiologist is specialized in neurology who diagnoses any difficulty dealing with the central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous system with the help of electrophysiological tests.
How to become a neurologist?
In order to become a neurologist, one needs to:
- Graduate from high school with a high GPA, especially in life sciences and math;
- Complete a 4-year pre-med/Biology degree;
- Volunteer in a medicine-related facility;
- Pass the Medical college admission test (MCAT);
- Enter a licensed medical school, one that possibly offers a neurology clerkship;
- Complete the 4 years of required initial medical training at the medical school, including internship.
- Try to do a neurology rotation during your internship training;
- Pass the 3 stages of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE);
- Join a residency that should include:
- 1-year general internal medicine residency for general neurologists;
- 2 years of pediatrics for child neurologists;
- 3 years of specialized neurology residency.
- Get licensed by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN);
- Join a fellowship in any of these subspecialties:
- Autonomous disorders;
- Brain injury medicine;
- Headache medicine;
- Clinical neurophysiology;
- Geriatric neurology;
- Neural repair and rehabilitation;
- Sleep medicine;
- There are many neurology subspecialties to choose from besides the mentioned above;
- You would have to participate in continuing medical education after completing the main education track as well;
Suggested Reading: 10 Best Neurosurgery Schools in America
How much do neurologists make?
In the United States of America, the average salary range for a neurologist is between $113,709 and $169,161 per year.
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, March 25). How To Become A Neurologist?. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-a-neurologist.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Neurologist?" Bio Explorer, 25 March 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-a-neurologist.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Neurologist?" Bio Explorer, March 25 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-a-neurologist.html/.
- “How to Become A Neurologist”. Accessed December 02, 2019. Link.
- “Neurologist Salaries in United States” – Glass Door. Accessed December 02, 2019. Link.