The field of medicine is recognized by its vast and diverse areas of study and research. Neurosurgery is another such medical domain in which the disorders and ailment conditions of the spinal cord, brain, and linking nerves are studied.
The doctor that deals in the specialty of neurosurgery are termed as the neurosurgeon. Neurosurgery is a demanding medical field requiring a medical graduate to complete residency program of 7 years in neurosurgery from an accredited neurosurgery institute.
Table of Contents
- 1. University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- 2. Yale University, New Haven, CT
- 3. Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 4. University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
- 5. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- 6. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 7. New York University, New York, NY
- 8. University of California, Oakland, CA
- 9. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 10. University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Top 10 Best Neurosurgery Schools
Around the United States, many renowned and prestigious university departments offer neurosurgery program for recognized medical scholars. Some of the famous neurosurgery institutes of the US are explored as under:
1. University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
Since 1865, the University of Kentucky has emerged as a fantastic research-based public university. It aims to educate the youth of today, shaping their transformation into influential future leaders of the world.
The faculty at the University of Kentucky nurtures the students with thought-provoking education, in almost every thought of school. Medical education is another strong department at the University of Kentucky.
Neurosurgery is dealt with by the College of medicine at the University of Kentucky, provisioning research and education in clinical neurosurgery.
The specialty holds excellence for medical graduates, in many ways as:
- Trainee medical graduates are equipped with neurosurgery education through practical exposure.
- The College of Medicine holds affiliations with medical centers such as UK’s Children Hospital, Lexington Cooper Drive Medical Centre, Chandler Hospital and Samaritan Hospital. Practical training helps to foster medical students into effective neurosurgeons.
- Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit of 10 beds is linked with the Medical Centre of the University of Kentucky.
- Trainees are given rounds into the Intensive care unit, alternatively. This helps their training under critical neurosurgical conditions.
2. Yale University, New Haven, CT
The University of Yale is the most significant and dominant academic institutes, around the globe. Since its inception in 1701, the University of Yale has emerged as a global learning platform for local as well as aspiring international students from all the walks of life.
Yale School of Medicine covers the medical field under the global perspective of research-based medical explorations. The Department of Neurosurgery at Yale School of Medicine supports and imparts benefits to the young neurosurgeons in various aspects:
- Clinical practice, teaching opportunities and research prospects in neurosurgery to the young medical aspirants through Franklin Robinson Fellowship.
- Trainees have provisioned neurosurgery exposure in neurosurgery ailments of children as wells as adults.
- New Haven Yale Hospital is the largest flagship hospital in Connecticut which is partnered with Yale School of medicine and Department of Neurosurgery.
- As the neurosurgical facility provided at affiliated Hospitals in Connecticut deals both newly diagnosed and referred patients, students learn and practice the newly emerging as well as referred ailments and conditions.
3. Stanford University, Stanford, CA
With 2219 faculty members and 16430 students getting benefited, the Stanford University stands high and enlightened, from the last 125 years.
The Stanford Neurosurgery Department is considered as one of the best educational and research-based center of the United States.
It specializes in the provision of various advantages to the young neurosurgeons such as:
- The Stanford Neurosurgical Department is equipped with advanced machines and technologies that provide young neurosurgeons state of the art exposure to the current facilities.
- Every year, about 4,000 operations are carried out at the Neurosurgical Centre of Stanford University.
- Sufficient skills and experience are gained by the trainees under the supervisions of research faculty and 60 neurosurgeons.
- The United States first Stroke and Trauma Centres are associated with the Neurosurgery Stanford Centre. The privilege of association benefits the neurosurgery students by working in great infrastructure and skilled environment.
4. University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
The University of Miami holds eminent recognition as one of the top research-based universities in the US. With 11 colleges and more the 17,000 students of graduate and undergraduate levels, the University of Miami provides educations and knowledge in all the walks of life.
Almost $ 324 million are spent on different research-based projects per annum. The Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami deals the Neurosurgical Department.
It offers the trainees diverse array of benefits in the field as:
- Innovative techniques like minimum invasive spine surgery and FDA approved simulators are being employed at the Neurosurgery Surgical Centre of the Miller School of Medicine. This enhances the learning opportunities for the young aspirants in neurosurgery.
- Almost 5,000 surgeries are performed by the 20 internationally recognized and skilled neurosurgeons that provide learning chances for the young neurosurgeons.
- Under the Miami Project initiated in 1985, practical experiences are provided to neurosurgery scholars. Experimentation is performed on human subjects helping n development of better understanding and knowledge.
5. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
The University of Michigan is one of the leading and distinctive universities of Michigan offers more than 260 programs. About more than 19 schools and colleges collaboratively strive to shape the future of more than 17000 students from diverse fields and grades.
Neurosurgery department of Michigan Medicine offers a speciality in the field of neurosurgery to the competent doctors with a strong academic background. The Michigan Medicine holds exclusivity as:
- Neurosurgery residents are trained skilfully under the competent and proficient supervision of researchers and teachers. The trainees are closely monitored and guided based on the critical nature of the neurosurgery field.
- The Department offers programs in multiple neurosurgical courses with research-based education such as Endovascular Neurosurgery, Epilepsy Surgery, Functional Neurosurgery, Cerebrovascular Neurosurgery, Spinal Surgery, and Peripheral Nerve Surgery.
- Residents are reserved from any clinical liabilities during the 4th and 5th years of their residency program. This is to ensure the focus of the residents on the academics enhancing their background knowledge and concepts.
6. Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Since the founding year of 1870, the Ohio State University has maintained its recognition as one of the largest public universities of Ohio. With enriched student life and organizational opportunities, Ohio State University offers multiple honors and research-based postgraduate programs.
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Centre offers residency program of Neurosurgical Surgery, under Neurological Institute. The professional and skilled training for seven years develops the nascent doctors into trained neurosurgeons, in an unsurpassed environment.
The residency program holds uniqueness as:
- Specialized training before and following major surgeries employing advanced techniques give the residents the expertise and judgment required for such operations.
- Training of young neurosurgeons involving direct patient centered training and using practices such as skull-based surgery, gamma knife procedure, endovascular surgery, and pediatrics surgery.
- The opportunities for pursuing a doctoral program in unconventional research-based neurosciences program.
7. New York University, New York, NY
The New York University (NYU) is the topmost private institute in the US. Along with campuses in Shanghai and Abu Dhabi. More than 400 programs in diverse fields are offered at the New York University.
Students from around the globe and across the US strive to seek admission at NYU. The Department of Neurosurgery at Langone Health Centre of NYU is a distinguished Institute for the provision of education in the neurosurgery program.
The neurosurgery and neurology center offers a notable residency program benefitting the residents as:
- Full-time faculty of skilled and competent 20 neurosurgeons holds the capability to solve and handle the most critical of cases often declined by other neurosurgeons.
- The trainees gain clinical exposure and practice under the supervision critical handlers of neurosurgery field.
- Inspiring discoveries as a result of transformational research-based neurosurgery projects provide the trainees the opportunity to work in sustained learning atmospheres.
8. University of California, Oakland, CA
The University of California (UCA) shines as an eminent star in the constellation of California contributing majorly to the economy of the state, every year. The University of California has gained distinction worldwide through it’s large no. of graduate winning Nobel Prize.
The massive educational environment can be assessed by the working individuals of the University of California. More than 190,000 faculty members teach 238,000 alumni from across the world, in more than 190 disciplines.
The Neurological Surgery Department of the University of California San Francisco is ranked as one of the uppermost neurosurgery departments in the US. The residency at UCA includes:
- The major hospitals of San Francisco are linked with the Neurological Surgery Department of UCA.
- Availability of large scale opportunities to the neurosurgery residents. This results in the development of professional and critical skills in demand of the neurology field.
- Research-based projects are carried out such as clinical trials on epilepsy, brain tumor, movement disorders, spinal disorders, and psychiatric disorders. The outcomes of these clinical trials help in shaping new findings. This results in better understanding of the brain dysfunctioning as well as chances of exposure to the neurosurgeons in the making.
9. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
The University of Pittsburgh was established in 1787, as the Pittsburgh Academy. Since its founding year, the University of Pittsburgh has strived to be recognized as one of the nation’s great universities.
The University of Pittsburgh is also the prestigious member of American Association of Universities. The Department of Neurosurgical Surgery, at the University of Pittsburgh, offers skills training and research-based education in multiple disciplines of neurosurgery.
The Neurological Surgery offers a wide range of academic exposure to the young neurosurgeons:
- The quality and range of research-based education at the University of Pittsburgh are unmatchable. Under the supervision of top faculty members, medical graduates transform into useful skilled neurosurgeons of the future.
- The young residents gain the opportunity of excellent learning and skills enhancement through intramural research at the University of Pittsburgh. Walter L. Copeland Fund supports within the institute research projects.
- Multiple resident courses and professional training programs are offered to the residents of neurosurgery such as Endonasal Endoscopic Surgery, Intraoperative Neuro-monitoring, and Intracranial Surgery Course.
10. University of Washington, Seattle, WA
The University of Washington (UW) is ranked as the 14th top world university. More than 54,000 students pass out from UW per year.
Annually, more than 12,000 degrees are awarded to alumni of multiple fields and grades. The Neurological Surgery at the UW Medicine is one of the finest and professional institutes, in its own arena.
The residency program in Neurological Surgery offers numerous assistance to the young developing neurosurgeons such as:
- Provision of clinical expertise and training in various neurological courses as spinal cord disorders, surgical pain management, brain mapping, spinal and cranial trauma, neurological oncology and cerebrovascular disorders.
- To add on to the practical experiences, UW Medicine hold linkages with.
University of Washington Medical Centre, Harborview Medical Centre, Seattle Children’s Hospital and Veterans Administration Health Care Centre.
- Multiple upcoming courses are in line to be offered to trainees that equip them with the current requirements of neurology area. The new courses offered are such as anatomy of the thoracic spine, Microanatamosis Technique, and Anatomy of Lumbosacral Spine.
The prodigious specialty of Neurosurgery carries a wide range of probabilities for the future explorations and scientific innovations related to the brain, nerves and spinal cord.
However, keeping in mind the delicacies of organs, are the advanced techniques employed in neurosurgical procedures precise enough to target just the disorder? Even the slightest of mishandling can lead to lifelong disabilities.
Since the brain and other components of nervous system control every part of the body, stress should be laid on making the research-based projects oriented towards fidelity for the patient’s life care and consequently, humanity.