- Plant Type: Perennial herb.
- Common Name: Toad Lily, Sansyoku.
- Color: White dotted with purple spots.
- Flower Dimensions: 1.18 to 1.97 inches in diameter.
- Flowering Season: Summer and Autumn (August to October).
- Places in Japan with Toad Lily: mountains and fields from Hokkaido, Shikoku, and Kyushu.
Tricyrtis affinis is a perennial Japanese plant of the Liliaceae. This species is endemic to Japan and can grow to a height of 30 to 60 cm.
- The leaves of the Toad Lily are elongated and measure 8-18 cm in height. The leaf margins are wavy. The leaves are alternate and sometimes 2-ranked.
- The stems of Tricyrtis affinis are erect and arching.
- The flowers of Tricyrtis affinis are white with purple spots. The flowers have six free tepals in two whorls. They are star-shaped or bell-shaped, solitary or in axillary or terminal clusters.
Interesting Facts about Toad Lily
- Tricyrtis is a symbol of fertility.
- Tricyrtis are called toad Lilies because the flowers and the leaves are spotted like a toad. In addition, the flowers have warty bumps at the flower’s base that appear like a toad. These bumps are the nectaries of the flower.
- The Japanese also called the toad lilies “hototogiso“, which means “little cuckoo“. This implies an attractive bird dwelling in the forest.
- The lily flower is often given at memorial services because the Lily flowers are associated with grief. However, the deeper meaning of the lilies is transformation and rebirth.
- Lilies are often given gifts during the 3oth wedding anniversary because the lilies also symbolize devotion.
Suggested Reading: List of Different Types of Flowers
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, September 30). Toad Lily. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/toad-lily/.
BioExplorer.net. "Toad Lily" Bio Explorer, 30 September 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/toad-lily/.
BioExplorer.net. "Toad Lily" Bio Explorer, September 30 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/toad-lily/.