- Plant Type: Evergreen, drought-deciduous succulent shrub.
- Common Names: Desert Rose, impala Lily, mock azalea, kudu, Sabi star.
- Colors: Red, rose, and pink with a whitish blush outward the throat.
- Flower Dimensions: 0.79- 1.97 inches tubular length, and the outer part diameter is 1.6 to 2.4 inches.
- Flowering Seasons/Months: Summer
- Deserts with Desert Rose: Sahel regions south of Sahara, Tropical Africa, Arabian Peninsula.
Desert Rose Characteristics
Desert rose is an evergreen, deciduous shrub of the Gentianales order. This species can grow from 3.3 to 9.8 ft. It is a trendy ornamental plant with plumeria-like flowers.
- The stems of the Desert rose are pachycaul. The trunk is thick succulent.
- The Desert rose leaves are simple, entire, and spirally arranged. The leaves are leathery, thin, and delicate. They measure 2-5.9 inches long and 0.39- 3.15 inches broad.
- The flowers of the Desert rose are in a trumpet shape.
- The desert rose will thrive in an environment of full sunlight. It grows dormant for the winter season.
- The species is long-lived. It mainly grows in hilly, rocky, and sandy soil.
Desert Rose Facts
- The desert rose cannot endure temperatures of the prolonged cold. Once the temperature drops to 50° F, this plant will lose its leaves and undergoes slowed dormant phase.
- The desert rose symbolizes hope during dry times since the plant is vigorous and can survive harsh climatic conditions.
- The desert rose is not a rose. It is not a member of the Rosaceae family. It does not have thorns and does not resemble the flowers of any variety of roses.
- In China, the desert rose is a symbol is considered a wealth plant or a flower of prosperity. Therefore, it is named fuguihua in Chinese. Fu means rich or abundant, gui means majestic, and huameans flower.
- The scientists discovered that the Adenium obesum showed great potential to treat viruses. Their research manifested that the species showed anticancer, antiviral, antibacterial, trypanocidal, acaricidal, molluscicidal, antioxidant, and piscicidal properties.
Suggested Reading: Types of Flowers List
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 06). Desert Rose. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/desert-rose/.
BioExplorer.net. "Desert Rose" Bio Explorer, 06 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/desert-rose/.
BioExplorer.net. "Desert Rose" Bio Explorer, June 06 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/desert-rose/.