- Plant Type: Deciduous shrub.
- Common Names: Rugosa Rose, beach rose, Japanese rose, Ramanas rose, letchberry, wild rose.
- Color: Red, pink, lavender, white.
- Flower size: 2.4- 3.5 inches across.
- Flowering Season: Summer
- Places in Japan with Beach Rose: Northern Japan, including Hokkaido and Honshu in the South.
The beach rose is a deciduous Japanese shrub with a multi-stem. It is native to Japan and is widely used as an ornamental plant.
- The leaves of the beach rose are alternate with leaflets (5-9). The leaflets measure 0.8 to 2 inches in length and 0.6 to 1.2 inches in width. The leaflets are elliptical with a rounded base.
- Beach rose has erect to arching stems with a height of up to 5 ft.
- The fragrant flowers of the Rosa rugosa are usually solitary. The flowers have 5 petals in varying colors. The flowers can be single or double.
- The beautiful beach rose is pollinated by insects and birds.
Interesting Facts about Beach Rose
- Rosa rugosa is a strong symbol of Love and adoration.
- Rosa rugosa is associated with the Greek goddess of beauty and love in ancient mythology, Aphrodite. Goddess Aphrodite is often portrayed as having a rose crown on her head.
- The term “sub rosa” is from the Roman era. In this tradition, wild roses are hung above meeting places and tables. Anything said “under the rose” must be kept a secret.
- Rosa rugosa help in stabilizing the beaches and dunes.
- In Renaissance period art, the rose having 8 petals signifies rebirth and renewal. The seven-petaled rose means inclusion, universal understanding, and order.
Suggested Reading: Common Flower Names
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, September 30). Beach Rose. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/beach-rose/.
BioExplorer.net. "Beach Rose" Bio Explorer, 30 September 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/beach-rose/.
BioExplorer.net. "Beach Rose" Bio Explorer, September 30 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/beach-rose/.