Nuclear medicine specialist (aka nuclear medicine physician) is a medical professional who diagnoses and treats illnesses (cancer) using radioactive materials.
Table of Contents
How To Become A Nuclear Medicine Specialist?
In order to become a nuclear physician, one needs to:
- Graduate from high school with a high GPA, especially in life sciences and math;
- Complete a 4-year pre-med/Biology degree;
- Volunteer in a medicine-related facility;
- Pass the Medical college admission test (MCAT);
- Enter a licensed medical school;
- Complete the 4 years of required initial medical training. You would need one of the following degrees:
- Doctor of Medicine, M.D.;
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, D.O;
- Pass the three parts of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE);
- Join a residency in nuclear medicine accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME);
- The residency should include:
- At least 2 years of preparatory training in internal medicine;
- 2 or more years of specialized training in nuclear medicine;
- Research experience in:
- therapy with unsealed sources;
- radio-immunoassay techniques and imaging with single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT);
- positron emission radioisotopes.
- Get training in allied disciplines:
- medical nuclear physics;
- radiopharmaceutical chemistry;
- radiation biology.
- Computer sciences;
Average Salary for Nuclear Medicine Specialist
Nuclear medicine specialists receive an average salary between $144,000 and $216,000 per year in the United States of America.
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, March 25). How To Become A Nuclear Medicine Specialist?. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-nuclear-medicine-specialist.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Nuclear Medicine Specialist?" Bio Explorer, 25 March 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-nuclear-medicine-specialist.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Nuclear Medicine Specialist?" Bio Explorer, March 25 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-nuclear-medicine-specialist.html/.
- “Nuclear Medicine Professions”. Accessed December 06, 2019. Link.
- “Physician – Nuclear Medicine Salary | Salary.com”. Accessed December 06, 2019. Link.