A neurosurgeon is a highly qualified medical specialist that can perform surgeries on the brain and spinal cord, including traumas, tumors, and infections.
How to Become a Neurosurgeon?
In order to become a qualified neurosurgeon, one needs to:
- Graduate from high school with a high GPA, especially in life sciences and math;
- Complete a 4-year pre-med/Biology degree;
- Volunteer in a medicine-related facility;
- Pass the Medical college admission test (MCAT);
- Enter a licensed medical school, one that possibly offers a neurology clerkship;
- Complete the 4 years of required initial medical training. You would need one of the following degrees:
- Doctor of Medicine, M.D.;
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, D.O;
- Try to do a neurology rotation during your internship training;
- Pass the three stages of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE);
- Join a residency that should include:
- 3 months of fundamental neuroscience;
- 3 months of critical care training;
- 6 months general patient care;
- Spine surgery;
- Pediatric neurosurgery.
Average Salary for Neurosurgeons
In the United States, the average salary for a neurosurgeon is between $122,000 and $778,000.
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, April 01). How To Become A Neurosurgeon?. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-neurosurgeon.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Neurosurgeon?" Bio Explorer, 01 April 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-neurosurgeon.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Neurosurgeon?" Bio Explorer, April 01 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-neurosurgeon.html/.
- “So you want to become a surgeon?” – AANS.ORG. Accessed December 06, 2019. Link.
- “Neurosurgeon Salary | PayScale”. Accessed December 06, 2019. Link.