- Plant Type: Annual herb.
- Common Name: Saltwort, Russian-thistle, Tumbleweed, Glasswort.
- Color: Greenish to white.
- Flower Dimensions: 0.16-0.31 inches in diameter.
- Flowering Seasons/Months: July to October.
- Desert with Saltwort: Gobi.
Saltwort Flower Characteristics
Saltwort is an annual herb from the Amaranth family. It is a low herb that can grow to 5-50 cm tall.
- The stems of the Saltwort are erect. The young stems are red or purple with stripes.
- The Saltw0rt is highly branched. The branches of the plant are arcuate. Other branches are almost prostrate.
- The leaves of the Saltwort are fleshy, simple, lobed or unlobed, and alternate. The leaf blades are entire. The leaves are 1-2 mm wide.
- The flowers of the Saltwort are radially symmetrical and possess 5 tepals fused into a cup or tube. Usually, there is one flower per axil of the bract.
- Salsola comes from the Latin Salsus, which means “salty, ” and kali means ashes of a sodium-rich plant.
- The prickly Saltwort is not a halophyte. The plant prefers sand further from the shore.
- Saltwort contains 5% oxalic acid. Therefore, this plant must be eaten in moderation because oxalic acid can lead to nutritional deficiencies.
- The stem extracts of Salsola kali are found to have effective antimicrobial activity against many human pathogens.
- In Europe and North America, the pollen inhalation of Salsola kali is a common cause of respiratory diseases. Research using the modified vaccine of S. kali pollen is proven effective and safe in treating patients with pollen sensitivity.
Suggested Reading: Kinds of Flowers
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, June 05). Saltwort. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/saltwort/.
BioExplorer.net. "Saltwort" Bio Explorer, 05 June 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/saltwort/.
BioExplorer.net. "Saltwort" Bio Explorer, June 05 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/saltwort/.