- Plant Type: Perennial vine.
- Common Names: Japanese Snake Gourd, Serpent Gourd.
- Color: White
- Flower Dimensions: 1.97 inches in diameter.
- Flowering Season: Summer to early fall (July to September).
- Places in Japan with Japanese Snake Gourd: Honshu, Shikoku, and Kyushu.
Trichosanthes is a perennial vine native to Japan. These thread-like flowers are aromatic and bloom from summer to early fall.
- The blooming of the single Japanese Snake Gourd flower is during the evening until early morning. The female flowers are pollinated by the hummingbird.
- The leaves of Trichosanthes cucumerina are similar to the Morning Glory. The plant’s leaves possess a sharp shape with surface hairs.
- The Trichosanthes cucumerina tangled with other plants or trees.
- The Japanese Snake Gourd’s fruits, shoots, and leaves are edible. These flowers signify good tidings.
Interesting Fact about Japanese Snake Gourd
- A study shows that the antioxidant from snake gourd strengthens the respiratory process and helps relieve asthma.
- The Japanese Snake Gourd is known to alleviate stomach, liver, skin, and many diseases. In addition, research indicates that it gives humans high nutritional and functional benefits.
- The name of the fruit is derived from snake gourd because it is coiled with light stripes. The fruits look like several snakes that hang from their vine.
- In Africa, the Japanese snake gourd is also called snake tomato. The locals consumed the mature fruit’s red pulp as a substitute for tomato.
- In China, the peptides in the plant showed an abortifacient property. The new abortifacient protein was β-Trichosanthin. A study showed that its induction of mid-term labor in mice is twice as potent as trichosanthin.
Suggested Reading: Group of Flowers
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, March 28). Japanese Snake Gourd. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/japanese-snake-gourd/.
BioExplorer.net. "Japanese Snake Gourd" Bio Explorer, 28 March 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/japanese-snake-gourd/.
BioExplorer.net. "Japanese Snake Gourd" Bio Explorer, March 28 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/japanese-snake-gourd/.