- Common Names: Oriental cherry, Japanese flowering cherry, Sakura.
- Plant Type: Deciduous tree.
- Flower Dimensions: Flowers are 1.38 to 2 inches in diameter
- Colors: White to pinkish-red
- Flowering Season: Spring (Mid-late March)
- Places in Japan with Cherry Blossom: Tokyo, Mount Yoshino
Cherry blossom is a medium-sized tree that can grow to 15-25 feet. The spread is 4-8 meters. The tree is short-lived (15-20 years).
- It is native to Korea, China, and Japan.
- The flowers are single, semi-double, or double in form. They can be fragrant or non-fragrant.
- The leaves are serrated, elliptical, and shiny. The foliage is reddish-brown to bronze during or after flowering. During summer, it becomes dark green. During fall, it becomes bronze, red, and yellow.
- The bark of the cherry blossom is glossy and smooth, with a reddish to bronze color and prominent lenticels that add attractiveness to the tree during winter.
Interesting facts about the Cherry Blossom
- Plucking a blossom or a branch can get you arrested in Washington, D. C.
- The fallen petals of the cherry blossom symbolize the Japanese samurais’ souls who sacrificed their lives for the Emperor.
- During “Hanami“, countless people in many different locations in Japan have a picnic-style celebration underneath the cherry blossoms. They eat and drink to welcome the arrival of spring.
- The cherry blossom, the National flower of Japan, symbolizes the transience of life because of its short blooming season.
- Cherry blossom signifies good luck, Love, and femininity.
Suggested Reading: Different Types of Flowers
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, September 26). Japanese Cherry Blossom. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/japanese-cherry-blossom/.
BioExplorer.net. "Japanese Cherry Blossom" Bio Explorer, 26 September 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/japanese-cherry-blossom/.
BioExplorer.net. "Japanese Cherry Blossom" Bio Explorer, September 26 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/japanese-cherry-blossom/.