- Plant Type: Deciduous shrub.
- Common Names: Bigleaf Hydrangea, French Hydrangea, Hortensia, Lacecap Hydrangea, Mophead Hydrangea, snowball Plant.
- Colors: White to pink, deep blue, purple.
- Flower Dimensions: up to 2 inches or more in diameter.
- Flowering Season: Late spring and summer (June to late September).
- Places in Japan with Bigleaf Hydrangea: Usually growing in temples, shrines, gardens, parks, and riverbanks. The best tourist spots are in Tokyo.
Bigleaf Hydrangea is a deciduous shrub native to Japan that can grow to 7 ft tall. The flowers of the lacecup Hydrangea are attractive large mophead, making it a popular landscape plant.
- Hydrangea macrophylla species is divided into Mophead hydrangeas and Lacecup Hydrangeas. The Mophead hydrangeas possess flowers in large rounded heads. The lacecup hydrangeas produce clusters of flattened flowers.
- The leaves of Bigleaf Hydrangea are large, tough, glossy, and bold. They are dark green and measure 4-8 inches long.
- Hydrangea macrophylla loves shade and can tolerate clay and sandy soil.
- Bigleaf Hydrangeas are the sun part shade lover.
Interesting Facts about Bigleaf Hydrangea
- For the Japanese, Hydrangeas mean an apology. According to the origin, the Emperor gave the hydrangea flower to the family of the girl he loved as an apology for ignoring her.
- The Victorians associate Hydrangea with boastfulness or bragging because of its magnificent flowers.
- The hydrangeas are often a gift during the 4th wedding anniversaries to signify appreciation and heartfelt emotion.
- Soil determines the color of the Hydrangea. The acidic soil makes the blooms blue which signifies “Patient Love“.
- Since the Hydrangea macrophylla changes the color of the flower depending on the soil, it connotes the “fickleness“.
Suggested Reading: All Other Types of Flowers
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, March 28). Japanese Bigleaf Hydrangea. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/bigleaf-hydrangea/.
BioExplorer.net. "Japanese Bigleaf Hydrangea" Bio Explorer, 28 March 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/bigleaf-hydrangea/.
BioExplorer.net. "Japanese Bigleaf Hydrangea" Bio Explorer, March 28 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/plants/flowers/bigleaf-hydrangea/.