Gruiformes order contains a wide variety of birds, both in size and other features. Most notable species of Gruiformes are cranes and quails, but there also other less known species.
Table of Contents
How to pronounce Gruiformes?
According to the taxonomy, there are five families in the bird order Gruiformes:
- Aramidae (Limpkins).
- Gruidae (Cranes).
- Heliornithidae (Finfoots).
- Psophiidae (Trumpeters).
- Rallidae (Coots, Rails, & more).
Based on the current classification, there are roughly about 165 species and 269 sub-species in this bird order.
Characteristics of Gruiformes
Here are some general features of Gruiformes:
- Many birds in the order have plumage in subdued colors – grey, white, or brown;
- Many Gruiformes have long, slender bills;
- Gruiformes have long wings rounded at the edges;
- Most species in the order have long and strong legs;
- Many Gruiformes species are known for special mating rituals;
- Gruiformes birds are found on all continents except in Antarctica.
- The bird Kagu in this bird order lives exclusively on the island of New Caledonia near Australia in the Pacific Ocean.
- Cranes can be found on all continents except Antarctica and South America. Interestingly, Rails, gallinules, and coots can be found worldwide.
- According to IUCN, the birds in this order are of least concern (LC).
In terms of habitats, Gruiformes live in diverse locations:
|Sungrebes, Rails||Aquatic regions (marshes, swamps, lakes, and streams)|
|Sunbitterns||Rainforests and swamps|
|Cranes||Freshwater and marine wetlands|
|Mesites||Rainforest, deciduous forest, and dry scrubland|
|Bustards||Brush, scrub habitats and open grassland.|
In general, Gruiformes birds eat a wide variety of plant and animal matter.
|Sungrebes||Small insects, aquatic animals, seeds, and leaves.|
|Sunbitterns||Insects, small fish, and crustaceans.|
|Limpkin||Apple snails, insects, and seeds.|
|Cranes||Seeds, fish, and other animal matter.|
|Trumpeters||Fruits, berries, seeds,|
|Kagu||Insects, worms, small frogs and mollusks|
|Mesites||Fruits, seeds, small insects|
|Bustards||Seeds, insects, and other small animals.|
Here is a sample of Gruiformes species variety:
- Sandbill crane;
- Australian crane;
- Demoiselle crane;
- Courlan, or limpkin;
- Corncrake, or land rail;
- Water rail;
- Inaccessible Island rail;
- American finfoot;
- Mud hen;
- European coot.
- “ITIS Standard Report Page: Gruiformes”. Accessed December 13, 2019. Link.
- “Birds Orders & Families Of The World”. Accessed December 13, 2019. Link.
- “ADW: Gruiformes: CLASSIFICATION”. Accessed December 13, 2019. Link.
- “IUCN Red List of Threatened Species”. Accessed December 13, 2019. Link.