How To Become A Hepatologist? A Hepatologist is a medical specialist that deals specifically with the disorders of the liver, gallbladder, pancreas, biliary tract, as well as other related organs.
Hepatology is regarded as a branch of gastroenterology.
Suggested Reading: Explore other medical professionals here.
How to become a Hepatologist?
In order to get licensed as a hepatologist, one should:
- Complete the pre-med Bachelor degree that includes Biology and Physical Sciences disciplines. This degree program takes 3-4 years in total.
- Maintain a high GPA and volunteer in some medical establishment to gain experience;
- Pass the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT);
- Complete the required four years at medical school;
- Pass the three-parts of the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE);
- Join a residency program in internal medicine that may last from 2 to 4 years.
- Choose one of the following tracks:
- Join a fellowship in Gastroenterology with an emphasis in hepatology (4-year program);
- Join a year-long fellowship in hepatology after completing a 4-year fellowship in gastroenterology;
- Join a 1-year program that combines advanced hepatology with transplant hepatology;
- Join a 4-year program that combines gastroenterology with transplant hepatology;
- At the end of your education, you would be able to deal with:
- Viral liver diseases;
- Liver transplants;
Top 10 Best Colleges for Biology Pre-Med
Here are the top 10 prestigious best colleges for biology pre-med in the US that helps to lay the foundation of biomedical knowledge by the pre-med courses.
Average Salary for Hepatologists
The average salary for a hepatologist would be in the range between $166,000 to $345,000.
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2023, March 24). How To Become A Hepatologist?. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-hepatologist.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Hepatologist?" Bio Explorer, 24 March 2023, https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-hepatologist.html/.
BioExplorer.net. "How To Become A Hepatologist?" Bio Explorer, March 24 2023. https://www.bioexplorer.net/how-to-become-hepatologist.html/.
- “So You Want to Be a Hepatologist?” – John Del Valle, Section Editor, Gastro Journal. Accessed November 27, 2019. Link.
- “Hepatology Fellowship – MU School of Medicine”. Accessed November 27, 2019. Link.
- “Training the next generation of hepatologist: What will they need to know?” – CLD – A multimedia review journal. Accessed November 27, 2019. Link.