Order Galliformes is the large and diverse group of birds which includes species traditionally crucial to humans as domestic birds and hunting fowl.
Order Galliformes Characteristics
Gallinaceous birds can be easily distinguished from other birds by some features which are listed below:
- Galliformes have blunt wings.
- As the name suggests, they resemble house chicken in appearance;
- Many Galliformes have bright crests and ornamental tails;
- Galliformes predominantly feed on the ground;
- Most of these birds have strong legs;
- Many of these chicken-like birds prefer walking and running to flying, and if scared, usually fly only for a short time;
- In one family of this order-megapods, birds build mounds for incubating their eggs;
Galliformes order is very varied, as you can see in the diversity of its species:
- Black grouse, Lyrurus tetrix
- Wild turkey, Meleagris gallopavo
- Mallee fowl;
- Orange-footed Scrubfowl
- Brush turkey
- Indian peafowl
- Red jungle fowl
- Common pheasant, Phasianus colchicus
- Argus pheasant
Cite This Page
-  – “ADW: Galliformes: INFORMATION”. Accessed June 22, 2019. Link.