Table of Contents
Order Columbiformes Characteristics
- Columbiformes have a compact body.
- Pigeons have relatively small heads and small necks.
- These birds have broad wings with rounded ages.
- Tails in doves are relatively small.
- Most of the birds in the order have a typical form of flight with flapping wings.
- Pigeons are known for feeding their young “bird milk” very similar to the milk of mammals.
- The species of this order can be found almost everywhere and are well-adapted to an urban environment.
Here are some examples of Columbiformes:
- Laughing dove
- Diamond dove
- Passenger pigeon
- Raphus solitarius
- Wood pigeon
- Homing pigeon
- Old World rock dove
- Pheasant pigeon
- Pink-necked green pigeon
Cite this article as: "Order Columbiformes / Pigeons and Dodos," in Bio Explorer, July 9, 2020, https://www.bioexplorer.net/order-columbiformes/.
-  – “Columbiform | bird | Britannica.com”. Accessed June 06, 2019. Link.