Table of Contents
Order Columbiformes Characteristics
- Columbiformes have a compact body.
- Pigeons have relatively small heads and small necks.
- These birds have broad wings with rounded ages.
- Tails in doves are relatively small.
- Most of the birds in the order have a typical form of flight with flapping wings.
- Pigeons are known for feeding their young “bird milk” very similar to the milk of mammals.
- The species of this order can be found almost everywhere and are well-adapted to an urban environment.
Here are some examples of Columbiformes:
- Laughing dove
- Diamond dove
- Passenger pigeon
- Raphus solitarius
- Wood pigeon
- Homing pigeon
- Old World rock dove
- Pheasant pigeon
- Pink-necked green pigeon
Cite This Page
BioExplorer.net. (2021, July 31). Order Columbiformes / Pigeons and Dodos. Bio Explorer. https://www.bioexplorer.net/order-columbiformes/.
BioExplorer.net. "Order Columbiformes / Pigeons and Dodos" Bio Explorer, 31 July 2021, https://www.bioexplorer.net/order-columbiformes/.
BioExplorer.net. "Order Columbiformes / Pigeons and Dodos" Bio Explorer, July 31 2021. https://www.bioexplorer.net/order-columbiformes/.
-  – “Columbiform | bird | Britannica.com”. Accessed June 06, 2019. Link.