Genetic Counseling Programs: Genetic counseling is small but is a continuously developing profession that offers a broad opportunity for its graduates.
Given the nature of this profession, genetic counselors are expected to have extensive experience in both biomedical genetics as well as the advocacy and counseling per se, allowing them to reach out to individuals with problems regarding genetic disorders.
Table of Contents
- Top 11 Genetic Counseling Graduate Programs
- 1. Stanford University (Stanford, California)
- 2. Boston University (Boston, Massachusetts)
- 3. University of South Carolina (Columbia, South Carolina)
- 4. Northwestern University (Evanston, Illinois)
- 5. University of California- Irvine (Irvine, California)
- 6. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Manhattan, New York)
- 7. University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- 8. University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- 9. University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, Wisconsin)
- 10. Arcadia University (Glenside, Pennsylvania)
- 11. University of Texas (Houston, Texas)
Looking for the best school? Worry no more because we have already researched for you.
The following are the top 11 best universities in the United States that offer genetic counseling graduate programs.
Top 11 Genetic Counseling Graduate Programs
1. Stanford University (Stanford, California)
- The Department of Genetics at the School of Medicine where this two-year program is located is also on the top-performing medical schools in the world.
- The curriculum for the said program works on the quarter system wherein students will have to take six academic quarters and finish clinical rotations (full-time) during the summer period before their second year.
- The program also offers interdisciplinary courses like Spanish, pediatrics, oncology, reproductive health, and ethics.
2. Boston University (Boston, Massachusetts)
- The program includes the foundation courses in genetics and counseling, and research and medical ethics.
- Students enrolled in this program are required to have a capstone project that deals with a case study review or laboratory experiments. And to further enhance their counseling skills, students are required to take course in the Mental Health and Behavioral Medicine Program.
More Info: Boston University – MS in Genetic Counseling
3. University of South Carolina (Columbia, South Carolina)
- The two-year program consists of basic and fundamental genetics coursework, clinical rotations (both local and international), and a thesis. Students are trained to specialize in a wide variety of fields like prenatal, pediatric, and adult examinations.
- The said program have received the highly coveted “Commendation for Excellence” award from the South Carolina Commission of Higher Education in the years 1991 and 1998.
- Aside from that, the program also received the Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling in the years 2000 and 2006, and more recently in 2014 for a maximum eight year period.
4. Northwestern University (Evanston, Illinois)
- One unique feature of this program is that students may enroll to a dual degree program in the Master of Arts in Medical Humanities and Bioethics.
5. University of California- Irvine (Irvine, California)
- The curriculum of the program includes a two-year, full-time graduate program spent through clinical rotations and laboratory-based research.
- The program has already receive full accreditation from the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC); hence, graduates can apply for license.
6. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Manhattan, New York)
- The Masters in genetic counseling, sponsored by the Department of Genetics and Genomics Sciences, includes extensive coursework and clinical rotations to train students in both biomedical research and patient care.
- Graduates of the said program may apply for licensure from the ABGC.
7. University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- The program was established in 1979—twenty one years after the establishment of the first genetics clinic in the University.
- The university prides out this program as it is its “trademark” program in the medical community.
8. University of Maryland (College Park, Maryland)
- The program is open for students who wish to be part of the developing field of medical genetics. One of the main aims of the program is to train their students to become well-rounded genetic counselors with vast knowledge and understanding in the field of genetics.
- Graduates will be eligible for licensure from the ABGC.
9. University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, Wisconsin)
- Students enrolled in the program are trained in genetic counseling and course-works in the field of genetics (written, laboratory work, and applications).
- Graduates may apply for licensure from the ABGC.
10. Arcadia University (Glenside, Pennsylvania)
- The curriculum of the program involves a two-year, full-time coursework designed to train their students into knowledge about the foundations of biomedical research and clinical experience.
More Info: Acadia University – Genetic Counseling MS.
11. University of Texas (Houston, Texas)
- The Accreditation Council accredits the UT Genetic Counseling Program for Genetic Counseling (ACGC).
- The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the country and provides unique training experiences for genetic counseling program students.
- Training sites for the Genetic Counseling Program are in various locations including McGovern Medical School, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Shriners Hospital for Children, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, and various outreach clinics located in industry, private clinics and public health settings.
- Scholarships are available to many incoming students on a competitive basis and are granted at the time of admittance.
- Also, qualifying out-of-state students will receive in-state tuition that helps offset educational costs.
While there is no ranking system, the aforementioned genetic counseling graduate programs and schools can be considered as the top-performing ones in the field of genetic counseling and biomedical research. All of them too were accredited by the Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling.
Now, have you decided what school to enroll in?